Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] BIP70: why Google Protocol Buffers for encoding?

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:06:38 -0700

That's 100% true: BIP70 passes around serialized protobuf data that it signs directly for this reason; it could just as easily be a byte array with json in it. (not that json/XML/etc. doesn't have other flaws)

On 19 January 2015 13:03:32 GMT-07:00, Alan Reiner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'm a bit confused.  It's been a long time since I looked at protobuf
>(and will have to dig into it soon), but I seem to recall it doesn't
>have any of the determinism properties you guys just said.  It is
>intended to allow you to skip details of the on-the-wire
>representations
>and just send a bunch of named fields between systems.  I thought there
>was no guarantee that two identical protobuf structures will get
>serialized identically...?
>
>
>
>
>On 01/19/2015 02:57 PM, Richard Brady wrote:
>> Thanks guys, great answers.
>>
>> The design choice certainly makes a lot more sense now regardless of
>> whether one agrees with it or not.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard
>>
>>
>>
>>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> New Year. New Location. New Benefits. New Data Center in Ashburn, VA.
>> GigeNET is offering a free month of service with a new server in
>Ashburn.
>> Choose from 2 high performing configs, both with 100TB of bandwidth.
>> Higher redundancy.Lower latency.Increased capacity.Completely
>compliant.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Bitcoin-development mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>New Year. New Location. New Benefits. New Data Center in Ashburn, VA.
>GigeNET is offering a free month of service with a new server in
>Ashburn.
>Choose from 2 high performing configs, both with 100TB of bandwidth.
>Higher redundancy.Lower latency.Increased capacity.Completely
>compliant.
>http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Bitcoin-development mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development