Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Re: Relax OP_RETURN standardness restrictions

From: Greg Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2025 04:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, May 5, 2025 at 9:27:24 AM UTC Nagaev Boris wrote:

There may also be users today who rely on datacarrier 
behaviour/options without yet realizing they're scheduled for removal. 

How is it possible that anyone relies on it in a way that it will be a 
detriment to them?

"I run bitcoind because I want to help centralize the network through 
incentives to direct miner submission and slower block propagation, and by 
encouraging utxo bloating 'fake addresses' outputs! I also like diminishing 
my own ability to anticipate the content of the next block using data on my 
own node" ? :P   Were that actually someone's opinion I don't think anyone 
would regret inviting them to run different software.

I've been engaging 1:1 with people concerned about the change on forums for 
the last few days and I've haven't yet encountered any clear argument as to 
why someone would be harmed by the change.

Rather, I've found that they've simply been fed an incorrect argument that 
this change is a product of "bitcoin core" being in favor of non-monetary 
(ab)uses of the Bitcoin network, and that it will radically increase the 
amount of it.  As far as I can tell this is a total falsehood both respect 
to motivations and credible effects, and allegations otherwise just don't 
survive the sunlight of a competent counterargument.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/39a1d0b6-ecbc-42fa-93aa-3c4f7038aa5en%40googlegroups.com.