Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Start time for BIP141 (segwit)

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 17:52:09 +0000

This start time seems reasonable to me. It is mostly in line with BIP 9's proposed defaults, which seems like an appropriate choice.

On October 16, 2016 10:31:55 AM EDT, Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>We're getting ready for Bitcoin Core's 0.13.1 release - the first one
>to include segregated witness (BIP 141, 143, 144, 145) for Bitcoin
>mainnet, after being extensively tested on testnet and in other
>software. Following the BIP9 recommendation [1] to set the versionbits
>start time a month in the future and discussion in the last IRC
>meeting [2], I propose we set BIP 141's start time to November 15,
>2016, 0:00 UTC (unix time 1479168000).
>
>Note that this is just a lower bound on the time when the versionbits
>signalling can begin. Activation on the network requires:
>(1) This date to pass
>(2) A full retarget window of 2016 blocks with 95% signalling the
>version bit (bit 1 for BIP141)
>(3) A fallow period consisting of another 2016 blocks.
>
>  [1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009.mediawiki
>[2]
>http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2016/bitcoin-core-dev.2016-10-13-19.04.log.html
>
>Cheers,