Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Revisiting the BIPS process, a proposal

From: Martin Sustrik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:34:57 +0200

On 22/10/13 09:03, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Jean-Paul Kogelman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Have you seen: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification ?
>
> Take care, the information in the wiki is woefully incomplete.

Imagine myself, with no prior knowledge of Bitcoin looking at the 
document. It starts with "Hashes". What hashes? No idea what's going on. 
Etc.

Now compare that to a well written RFC. It starts with introduction, 
description of the problem, explains the conceptual model of the 
solution, then dives into the details. There's also Security 
Considerations part in every RFC that is pretty relevant for Bitcoin.

As I said, I am willing to help with writing such document, it would be 
a nice way of learning the stuff, however, help from core devs, such as 
answering question that may arise in the process, or reviewing the 
document would be needed.

Martin