Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Fake PGP key for Gavin

From: The Doctor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:44:24 -0700

On 03/23/2014 03:12 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> I find it more likely that fake PGP keys are from corporate
> industrial espionage and/or organized crime outfits. Intelligence
> agencies will stick to compromised X509, network cards, and binary
> code blobs.

We're seeing the same thing happen to a couple of developers active in
the censorship circumvention problem space as well (though it's not
for the first time it's happened).

> Besides, why would an intelligence agency want your bitcoin when
> they can just intercept ASIC miners and make their own?

Perhaps they have other motives for attempting a cybil attack against
developers than trying to acquire Bitcoins.  Say, by making it easier
to subtitute alternate versions which are instrumented to make the
users easier to spy upon and later take down?

- -- 
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/

PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F  DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

"The enemies know the system. The allies do not." --Jay Jacobs