Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Block collision resolution using the DECOR protocol and Bonneau's Kickbacks problem

From: Sergio Lerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 08:48:38 -0300

The Bonneau's Kickbacks problem is interesting because it is a
destabilizing incentive.
Just by luck yesterday I was working on the same problem. I found a way
to prevent Kickbacks and provide a conflict resolution strategy that
benefits all member of the network.
I will repost my blog post here, but the original has very nice diagrams
and is full of hyperlinnk, so I recommend you see the original post...

Even faster block-chains with DECOR protocol

One of the most interesting papers ever written about the Bitcoin
block-chain design is “Accelerating Bitcoin’s Transaction Processing” by
Sompolinsky and Zohar. The paper presents the GHOST protocol which aims
to achieve higher TPS securely by changing the way nodes decide which is
the best chain fork. One of the issues that is not considered by the
paper is the existence of a selfish bias independent of the miner’s
hashing power. When a miner solves a block, and a competing block is
also received, the miner will mine on top of his own solved block. This
is not only a consequence of the best-chain selection policy, there is a
strong incentive to do so. By mining on top of your own solved block,
you double the expected reward while keeping the same winning
probabilities. As a informal comparison, in Satoshi’s security model,
the rogue miner is irrational and malicious. For example, the
confirmation interval computations assume a rogue miner having 10% of
the network hashing power will try to mine a selfish chain in order to
try to outperform the global best-chain even if the odds are against
him. In Sopolinky/Zohar security model, the miners are rational, but use
a sub-optimal strategy. For example when two blocks compete, all miners
will chose one of them arbitrarily (all choose the same block). Although
this may be optimal for a fully cooperative network it’s not what miners
will optimally choose for themselves. In Eyal/Sirer security model, the
rogue miner is rational and uses an strategy believed by the authors to
be optimal.
In this post we improve Sopolinky/Zohar model assuming the attacker uses
Eyal/Sirer selfish strategy and the standard double-betting strategy.

Double-betting Strategy by Default

The double-betting is a mining strategy pre-programmed in the in Satoshi
reference miner. When a miner mines a block and a competing block is
also detected, the miner won’t switch to the other chain because is has
the same length, so mining will continue on the “selfish” fork. Of
course there is nothing inherently selfish with this strategy since the
miner has not enough information about which of the two forks is the one
which the majority of the miners are mining on top of. Nevertheless the
division of hashing power in forks is against the common good and
reduces both the network TPS and the network confirmation time.

Tit for Tat and identities

If the two competing miners could detect the other miners identity in
blocks, they could apply a cooperative strategy like Tit for Tat.
Whenever two competing blocks are found by two miners without having any
previous interaction, the conflict is resolved by both miners mining on
top of the block with lower hash digest. If the two miners have
interacted before, the conflict is resolved by both miners mining in the
block that was solved by the opposite miner chosen in the previous
interaction. If a miner acts selfishness and breaks the ties, then the
other miner opts to apply an equivalent retaliation in the next block
conflict. The retaliation is only considered successful if the miner who
retaliates wins the ties. This strategy may in practice for at least
four reasons:

Sometimes a miner may solve two blocks in a row without noticing that
the first one had a conflicting sibling. Then the competing miner would
retaliate.
If more than two miners are competing, it’s more complex to decide which
block should be chosen as parent.
All miners must dynamically maintain information of all previous
interactions between all other miners.
Some miners want to preserve anonymity and won’t publish identifying
information.

The first two reasons can be disregarded since the conflicting events
may have a very low probability. The third is only a minor technical
difficulty. But the last reason may be very strong.

DECOR (DEterministic COnflict Resolution)

I present here a reward strategy I called DECOR that incentives
resolving conflicts in a deterministic way that benefits all conflicting
miners at the same time. This strategy practically eliminates any
possibly block-chain reversal when miners are rational. To make this
explanation clearer we’ll assume that all block rewards and fees are
equal so each miner receives exactly the same net payment for a block.
Also the reward percentages proposed can be varied as long as some
relations between are maintained. The idea is that whenever two miners
Alice and Bob mine two competing blocks (a block conflict) both decide
to mine on top of the block with the lower hash. First, all conflicting
blocks headers that are not very old are forwarded to allow all peers to
compare block hashes. If a miner Carol (or Alice or Bob) solves a
following block, she includes in his block a reference to the uncle
block header that was left out of the main chain. This reference is
stored either in the block header, the coinbase field or in a special
transaction. The uncle block owner will get automatically 50% of the
reward of his main-chain sibling if uncle hash is higher than sibling
hash or 35% if not. The sibling also pays a 10% to Carol. Also the
sibling burns 10% if the uncle hash is higher than the sibling hash or
35% if not. This strategy sets incentives for conflicting miners to
choose always the parent with the lowest hash and to always reference a
lost uncle in the following blocks.

Mining strategy:

If there is no block Y having a sibling X in the main chain whose reward
has not matured then mine in the standard way and exit this procedure
Add a reference to Y in the new block that is being prepared.
Let x := BlockRewardPlusFees(X)
Let q := x*0.5
Let z :=x*0.1
If Hash(X)>Hash(Y) then q :=q-(x*0.2) and z :=z+(x*0.2)
Add a transaction that has as input the coinbase output of X and has
four outputs: the first output pays q coins to the address specified in
the coinbase output of block Y, the second output pays (x*0.1) coins to
an owned address, the third output burns z coins, and the forth output
pays the remaining coins to the same address as the input address. All
users accept this transaction as valid even if it’s unsigned if a
correct uncle is referenced.

The following diagrams show an example of how two miners Alice and Bob
will prefer mining on top of the same parent (A1) after a block A1
(created by Alice) is in conflict with a block B1 created by Bob. Carol
is a third miner that is not in conflict with neither Alice nor Bob. In
the diagrams the first letter indicates who created the block and the
number following indicates the block height. The arrows point to each
block parent.Bob-op

Although I’m giving no formal proof, It’s evident that the best strategy
for Alice and Bob is to choose the same parent for the following block.

GHOST+DECOR

The DECOR strategy can be implemented along with the GHOST protocol. In
fact both protocols have things in common, such as the need to forward
block headers that are siblings of blocks in the best chain. Using both
protocols together, along with route optimizations proposed here, maybe
2000 TPS can be achieved today.

Best regards,
Sergio.