Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] About the small number of bitcoin nodes

From: Bjørn Øivind Bjørnsen<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:26:37 +0200

On 18/05/14 19:43, Raúl Martínez wrote:
> About the small number of bitcoin nodes:
> Hi, I read the message that Mike Hearn sent to this mailing list some
> days ago (2014-04-07 11:34:43) related to the number of bitcoin full nodes.
> 
> As an owner of two Bitcoin Nodes, one in my home computer and one in a
> dedicated server, I believe I can contribute with some of my thoughts
> and ideas:
> 
> <snip some good ideas>

As an interested party not intimately familiar with the bitcoin codebase
who also spent some time setting up a node a while ago, I would like to
add one thing to the above list - network rate limiting.
When I first set up my node, I did not consider this until it started
eating all of my upstream bandwith (on an ADSL line that isn't so fun),
and I must admit I was a bit disappointed when I found that I would have
to set this up separately. An option to limit the upstream and
downstream network usage (like what tor or most torrent clients does)
would be useful.

On the note of the distro packages, I've so far been pretty happy with
the packages provided by Arch Linux - I have no idea if they build it
correctly (with the correct static libs and all), but it seems to work
fine for the edge router case.

Bjørn Øivind