Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposal: Encrypt bitcoin messages

From: Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:50:30 +0000

On 08/23/2014 04:17 PM, xor wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 07:40:39 PM Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Encryption is of little value if you may deduce the same
>> information by observing packet sizes and timings.
> 
> Instead of spawning a discussion whether this aspect is a reason to
> NOT encrypt, you should do the obvious:
> 
> Fix that as well. X being broken is not a reason for not fixing Y. 
> Pad the then encrypted packets with random bytes. The fact that
> they are encrypted makes them look like random data already, so the
> padding will not be distinguishable from the rest. Also, add some
> random bias to their timing.

The packet size and timing issue will become less of an issue as the
network grows anyway.

One transaction inserted into a 3 transaction-per-second encrypted
stream is more obvious than the same transaction inserted into a 100
or 1000 TPS stream.

- -- 
Support online privacy by using email encryption whenever possible.
Learn how here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakOKJFtB-k