Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] DS Deprecation Window

From: Tom Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:26:48 -0700

Matt,

You're right, thanks.  Without double-spend relay, miner won't know that 
some txes conflict with anything.  I'll add that first-double-spends are 
relayed per #4570.

Miner has to be very careful including a double-spend in his block -- he 
hopes:

  - that based on his measured time offset from the first spend he 
received, at most a tiny fraction of the network will delay his block

  - that not too many nodes saw an earlier spend that he didn't see, 
which could increase that fraction

  - that most other nodes saw his tx.  Any who didn't will only learn 
about it by receiving his block, and they will assign it the time when 
they receive the block.  That's likely to be more than T (30 seconds) 
after an earlier spend, so they would delay the block.

The best course of action is intended to be for miner to exclude fast (< 
2 hours) double spends completely.

On 10/27/2014 1:17 PM, Matt Corallo wrote:
> miners are incentivized to go connect to everyone on the network and
> look for double-spends
>
> On 10/27/14 19:58, Tom Harding wrote:
>> https://github.com/dgenr8/out-there/blob/master/ds-dep-win.md