Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reusable payment codes

From: Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:02:36 +0000

On 04/27/2015 04:46 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:
> So that's not quite what is meant normally by identity. It's not a 
> government / real name identity or an email address or phone number
> kind of identity.

I expect that mappings would begin to develop between payment codes
and government / real name identities, at least as far as that
businesses which are required to collect that kind of information
would associate it with the payment code(s) known to be used by their
customers for their own use.

I proposed payment codes in this form because I'd rather see that kind
of mapping be limited to the application layer and kept away from the
blockchain/network layer.

Even if it makes certain kind of application-layer distasteful
behavior easier, it's a good trade if doing so can simultaneously
provide resistance to graph analysis and make transaction-level
censorship more difficult.

- -- 
Justus Ranvier                   | Monetas <http://monetas.net/>
<mailto:[email-masked]>      | Public key ID : C3F7BB2638450DB5
                                 | BM-2cTepVtZ6AyJAs2Y8LpcvZB8KbdaWLwKqc