Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Block Size Increase

From: Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 16:18:32 +0000

On 05/07/2015 03:35 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Raising the block size limit then becomes a *human decision* to
> favor some users over others, a *human decision* to prevent an
> active and competitive free fee market developing at 1MB, a *human
> decision* to keep transaction fees low to incentivize bitcoin
> adoption, a *human decision* to value adoption over
> decentralization.

At the moment none of the following assertions have been proven true,
yet are constantly cited as if they have been:

* A competitive fee market will develop when the transaction rate
becomes constrained by the block size limit
* More users of Bitcoin means less decentralization

Furthermore, the term "decentralization" is frequently used without
being precisely defined in a way that would allow for such proofs to
be debated.

If there's going to be a debate on those points, then the people
presenting points on both sides should take the time to show their
work and explain the methodology they used to reach their conclusions.