Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Block Size Increase

From: Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 14:53:48 +0200

On 05/09/2015 02:02 PM, Andrew wrote:
> The nice thing about 1 MB is that you can store ALL bitcoin
> transactions relevant to your lifetime (~100 years) on one 5 TB
> hard drive (1*6*24*365*100=5256000). Any regular person can run a
> full node and store this 5 TB hard drive easily at their home. With
> 10 MB blocks you need a 50 TB drive just for your bitcoin
> transactions! This is not doable for most regular people due to
> space and monetary constraints. Being able to review all
> transactions relevant to your lifetime is one of the key important 
> properties of Bitcoin. How else can people audit the financial
> transactions of companies and governments that are using the
> Bitcoin blockchain? How else can we achieve this level of
> transparency that is essential to keeping corrupt
> governments/companies in check? How else can we keep track of our 
> own personal transactions without relying on others to keep track
> of them for us? As time passes, storage technology may increase,
> but so may human life expectancy. So yes, in this sense, 1 MB just
> may be the magic number.

How many individuals and companies do you propose will ever use
Bitcoin (order of magnitude estimates are fine)

Whatever number you select above, please describe approximately how
many lifetime Bitcoin transactions each individual and company will be
capable of performing with a 1 MB block size limit.