Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Is SourceForge still trustworthy enough to host this list?

From: Andy Schroder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:36:42 -0400

Andy Schroder

On 06/10/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Todd wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 03:12:02PM -0400, Andy Schroder wrote:
>> Andy Schroder
>>
>> On 06/10/2015 03:03 PM, Peter Todd wrote:
>>>> 4. Seems like digital signatures are always broken on messages because
>>>>     the list server slightly modifies them (?), so my e-mail client
>>>>     doesn't verify them all.
>>> What type of digital signatures specifically? What email client?
>> I think they are usually PGP/MIME signatures that are not working
>> right. If you'll notice from my e-mail headers:
>>
>> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.2.0
>> X-Enigmail-Version: 1.6
> It might be that Thunderbird doesn't properly handle messages with both
> signed and unsigned content. I use mutt myself, which handles it just
> fine. (the sigs on your emails verify just fine for instance)
>

It's possible that the enigmail extension is not working right, but I 
was under the impression that it is just feeding data to gpg and then 
receiving the response back. It's possible that your e-mail you just 
checked was not sent through mailman since I also replied directly to 
you explicitly (in which case the message has not been modified) and you 
probably have the setting in the mailing list set to not send duplicate 
messages if you are an explicit TO. I just deleted all explicit TOs for 
this message, so everyone should be receiving it through the mailing 
list and not directly. Is the signature still valid for you now? I think 
enigmail can handle messages with some signed and unsigned content, and 
maybe PGP/MIME inherently does not support this and a mailing list 
re-writing parts of messages is an expected action? If this message 
re-writing is an expected action and I'm correct that PGP/MIME does not 
support partially signed content, then maybe it is just a recommendation 
for this mailing list to not use PGP/MIME for messages sent to the list?

Can anyone else confirm?