Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Address Expiration to Prevent Reuse

From: odinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:52:25 -0700

I'm way late to this one, I guess, but adding some thoughts here... it
seems that anything which mitigates the problem of reuse should be to
the maximum extent possible, the user's option... if a person wants to
have an address that lasts forever they should be able to have it...
if they want to have an address that expires they should be able to
have it.

The reuse problem is, I think, better solved by the presentation of
stealth address proposals, and would be handled by a stealth BIP (BIP
63) which has been recently re-discussed here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1083961.0

On 03/26/2015 02:44 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Tom Harding <[email-masked]> 
> wrote:
>> I should have been clearer that the motivation for address 
>> expiration is to reduce the rate of increase of the massive pile 
>> of bitcoin addresses out there which have to be monitored
>> forever for future payments.  It could make a significant dent
>> if something like this worked, and were used by default someday.
> 
> Great, that can be accomplished by simply encoding an expiration 
> into the address people are using and specifying that clients 
> enforce it.
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
- --------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored
> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your 
> hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly 
> thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials 
> and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. 
> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/ 
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked] 
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
> 

- -- 
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn