Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

From: Tom Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:03:57 -0700

On 6/24/2015 8:00 PM, Raystonn wrote:
>
> > Consensus-code changes are unanimous. They must be.
>
> Excellent. Now we are getting to some actual written rules. How about 
> updating the BIP process documentation with this? Everyone should be 
> able to read the rules of the coin they are buying.
>
> One moment though. Can you tell me how this particular rule came to 
> be? The creator of Bitcoin violated this rule many times. So it must 
> have been adopted after his departure. What process was followed to 
> adopt this new rule? Was there consensus for it at the time? A huge 
> portion of the user community is under the impression that Satoshi's 
> written plans, some of which violate this new rule, will be 
> implemented. So there certainly would not be consensus for this rule 
> today.
>

Great question; very fair.  I, for one, eagerly await Mark's answer.

I hope nobody forgot to tell adversaries totally outside the open source 
ecosystem what the rules for hard forking changes are.

The Chinese miners have it right - we have to work together.  If you 
want to see who's trying, look at who has written a concrete BIP/code 
vs. who hasn't; who has made changes in response to feedback, and who 
hasn't.