Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

From: Milly Bitcoin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:11:13 -0400

That sounds like a good idea except I have been told by the powers that 
be that I am not allowed to post to Github.  Any Bip proposal is 
supposed to be vetted on the mailing list first.

My suggestion has been to continue development of the risk analysis 
started by the Bitcoin Foundation found at 
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bitcoin-Risk-Management-Study-Spring-2014.pdf. 
The idea is to create a living document of risks and mitigations as well 
as a decentralization metric.  When a change is proposed it is measured 
against these risks and metrics in a somewhat standard fashion.

If someone wants to post something like that to Github I can work on 
it.  I am familiar with the process as I worked on something similar for 
many years for the US FAA.  I worked in information security for large 
aviation systems in the R&D stage applying the NIST 800-series documents 
to the process (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html).

Russ

On 6/28/2015 8:23 PM, Andrew Lapp wrote:
> Your discussion is taking up a lot of room in my inbox and it doesn't 
> seem like either side is getting through to the other. Perhaps you 
> could create a document outlining all the failure modes possible due 
> to the current system, the current systems security assumptions and 
> possible solutions. Now it seems this is just a semantic debate and 
> would probably be better solved with you writing a BIP and having that 
> reviewed and critiqued.
>
> -Andrew Lapp
>
> On 06/28/2015 08:13 PM, Milly Bitcoin wrote:
>> The concern with that is that any FAQ will be developed by the same 
>> small group that controls the github now so they will spin it in an 
>> unrealistic way.  You see the problem now with the Bitcoin wiki.  
>> While the wiki has some valuable information, it also has a number of 
>> incorrect and cult-like claims about how Bitcoin works. Tim Swanson 
>> has made some good videos that describe some of the misinformation 
>> that often gets repeated on the Wiki and other places.
>>
>> I had suggested the info on the Wiki be reevaluated piece-by-piece 
>> and moved to Bitcoin.org but the developers didn't like that. 
>> Attempts to edit the Wiki often leads to the articles being defaced 
>> by the maintainers so that is a waste of time.
>>
>> Russ
>>
>>
>>
>> On 6/28/2015 5:00 PM, Adam Back wrote:
>>> I think we need a second mailing list: bitcoin-process for people to
>>> learn about bitcoin process.
>>>
>>> And someone to write a FAQ on it's sign up page so people interested
>>> could at least discuss from a starting point of understanding how and
>>> why it works the way it does!
>>>
>>> Adam
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> bitcoin-dev mailing list
>>> [email-masked]
>>> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> bitcoin-dev mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>