Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Proposal: extend bip70 with OpenAlias

From: Thomas Voegtlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:56:27 +0200

Le 19/07/2015 01:01, Justin Newton via bitcoin-dev a écrit :
>>
>> I would rather not make Namecoin part of the standard, because .bit
>> records cannot be verified easily by lightweight/spv wallets; they would
>> need a copy of the Namecoin blockchain for that.
> 
> You are the second person to raise this.  Clearly this is an item that
> requires some discussion before anything is decided for sure.  We had
> gone this direction (and I assume Riccardo did as well) to provide a
> censor resistant option as well as one that would be low cost for
> individuals to be able register their own names.  This also allows for
> lookups that never leave the local network.  The trade off there for
> mobile wallets was one I feel we failed to properly consider.
> 

I think our common goal should be to standardize DNS records holding
Bitcoin addresses, because they are going to be used by both Netki and
Electrum.

You and Ricardo may find it useful to have other types of lookups, such
as Namecoin, and that's fine with me, but I do not want that to slow
down or stall the current standardisation effort, because Namecoin
lookups are clearly not an option for lightweight wallets. That is what
I meant by 'not part of the standard'; let's work on what we have in
common :)