Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Proposal: extend bip70 with OpenAlias

From: Thomas Voegtlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:34:04 +0200

Le 20/07/2015 17:14, Mike Hearn a écrit :
> 
> By "alias" you mean domain name? I'm not sure what DNS key means in this
> context.
> 

yes, sorry, I mean the domain name corresponding to the TXT record.
it's called 'alias' in the context of OpenAlias.

> I'm still not really convinced that a domain name under some new roots is
> an identity people will want to use, but yes, I guess your approach would
> work for those who do want it.

What do you mean by "under some new roots" ?

If I believe Netki, there is enough people who want to have a Bitcoin
address stored in DNS, for at least one company to thrive. :)

All I am proposing is a new usage for these already existing DNS
records; not only to receive BTC, but also to sign requests with them.

> It still may be worth exploring the compact cert+optimized BIP70 (no
> DNSSEC) in a qrcode if making a network that stores small bits of data
> really is beyond us :(
> 
Heh, pastebin + base64 encoding the PR could work. However, it might
violate their ToS. More seriously, there might be some legal issues for
a company willing to provide that kind of service.

Re QR codes: 150 bytes, using base43 encoding, is not too bad.