Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Block size following technological growth

From: Venzen Khaosan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:30:40 +0700

On 08/04/2015 08:12 PM, Gavin Andresen via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev 
> <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
> I would say that things already demonstrately got terrible. The 
> mining landscape is very centralized, with apparently a majority 
> depending on agreements to trust each other's announced blocks 
> without validation.
> 
> And that is a problem... why?
> 
> As far as I can tell,

[snip]

It's a big problem. What are you dismissing it for?

With Bitcoin in fledgling 0.x version state this is neither desirable
nor encouraging.

Development did not freeze at some time in the past and now we see how
the userbase reacts. Miners, btw, are arguibly still a class of user
as long as they are guaranteed coinbase.

When they start making and proving themselves useful in a free
floating fee market absent coinbase subsidy, we can revisit this
topic, with the benefit of hindsight.

> As Bitcoin grows, pieces of the ecosystem will specialize.
> Satoshi's original code did everything: hashing, block assembly,
> wallet, consensus, network. That is changing, and that is OK.

[snip]

> 
> And I think the current "demonstrably terrible" Bitcoin system is
> still INCREDIBLY interesting.
> 
Pieter never said it wasn't interesting, so this emphatic statement is
strange - like someone is trying to convince an audience - but
anyway... as you, a veritable spring-chicken by your actions and
words, said the other day: having graduated in '88 you're "old" and
speak from experience. Don't come with that jive, bossy man - bring
facts and testing to the technical list.

My finance readers, in one camp, and Bitcoin investors, in the other,
want to see the XT 8MB hard-fork testing data that you mentioned for
BIP100.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
- - Benjamin Franklin

> -- -- Gavin Andresen

Venzen Khaosan