Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT 0.11A

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:42:29 +0000

On 08/16/15 23:22, Andrew LeCody via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Cam, your scenario makes no sense.
> 
>> 1. Spoil the ballot. Have Bitcoin Core propagate the Bitcoin XT version
> string.
>> 2. Encourage all miners to false vote for the Bitcoin XT fork.
> 
> This would obliterate any confidence in Bitcoin Core. I seriously doubt
> anyone would actually be ok with a pull request implementing this.

Bitcoin Core doesnt have to do this. It is rational if you have >25% of
hash power (or if you believe 25% of hash power is doing this) to do this.
If a 75% hardfork target is reached, and >25% of the hashpower doesnt
allow the hardfork, and the hardfork is strictly more permissive than
the original (ie it is essentially a reverse softfork - there are no
previously valid blocks which are not still valid), then the miners who
voted for the fork would be constantly generating blocks which are
soft-forked-out by the >25% and non-supporting miners.
I believe this was pointed out to the Bitcoin XT folks weeks ago, but
apparently did not sway the decision to use 75% and a (as far as I can
tell?) strictly more permissive hardfork.

Matt