Subject: [bitcoin-dev] BIP: Using Median time-past as endpoint for locktime calculations

From: Thomas Kerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 02:22:10 +0100

Hi all,

In collaboration with Mark Friedenbach, we have drawn up a proposal for
using
the median time of the past 11 blocks in locktime calculations.

<pre>
  BIP: XX
  Title: Median time-past as endpoint for lock-time calculations
  Author: Thomas Kerin <[email-masked]>
          Mark Friedenbach <[email-masked]>    
  Status: Draft
  Type: Standards Track
  Created: 2015-08-10
</pre>

==Abstract==

This BIP is a proposal to redefine the semantics used in determining a
time-locked transaction's eligibility for inclusion in a block. The
median of the last 11 blocks is used instead of the block's timestamp,
ensuring that it increases monotonically with each block.

==Motivation==

At present, transactions are excluded from inclusion in a block if the
present time or block height is less than or equal to that specified
in the locktime. Since the consensus rules do not mandate strict
ordering of block timestamps, this has the unfortunate outcome of
creating a perverse incentive for miners to lie about the time of
their blocks in order to collect more fees by including transactions
that by wall clock determination have not yet matured.

This BIP proposes comparing the locktime against the median of the
past 11 block's timestamps, rather than the timestamp of the block
including the transaction. Existing consensus rules guarantee this
value to monotonically advance, thereby removing the capability for
miners to claim more transaction fees by lying about the timestamps of
their block.

This proposal seeks to ensure reliable behaviour in locktime calculations as
required by BIP65, BIP68, and BIPXX (OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY).

==Specification==

The values for transaction locktime remain unchanged. The difference is
only in
the calculation determining whether a transaction can be included.
Instead of
an unreliable timestamp, the following function is used to determine the
current
block time for the purpose of checking lock-time constraints:

    enum { nMedianTimeSpan=11 };
    
    int64_t GetMedianTimePast(const CBlockIndex* pindex)
    {
        int64_t pmedian[nMedianTimeSpan];
        int64_t* pbegin = &pmedian[nMedianTimeSpan];
        int64_t* pend = &pmedian[nMedianTimeSpan];
        for (int i = 0; i < nMedianTimeSpan && pindex; i++, pindex =
pindex->pprev)
             *(--pbegin) = pindex->GetBlockTime();
        std::sort(pbegin, pend);
        return pbegin[(pend - pbegin)/2];
    }

Lock-time constraints are checked by the consensus method IsFinalTx(),
or LockTime() under BIP68. These methods take the block time as one
parameter. This BIP proposes that after activation calls to
IsFinalTx() or LockTime() within consensus code use the return value
of `GetMedianTimePast(pindexPrev)` instead.

A reference implementation of this proposal is provided in the
following git repository:

https://github.com/maaku/bitcoin/tree/medianpasttimelock

==Deployment==

We reuse the double-threshold switchover mechanism from BIPs 34 and 66,
with the
same thresholds, but for block.nVersion = 4. The new rules are in effect for
every block (at height H) with nVersion = 4 and at least 750 out of 1000
blocks
preceding it (with heights H-1000...H-1) also have nVersion = 4.
Furthermore,
when 950 out of the 1000 blocks preceding a block do have nVersion = 4,
nVersion = 3 blocks become invalid, and all further blocks enforce the
new rules.

It is recommended that this soft-fork deployment trigger include other
related
proposals for improving Bitcoin's lock-time capabilities, such as BIP
65, BIP68
and CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY.

==Acknowledgements==

Mark Friedenbach for designing and authoring the reference
implementation of this BIP.

Thomas Kerin authored this BIP document.

==Compatibility==

Transactions generated using time-based lock-time will take
approximately an hour longer to confirm than would be expected under
the old rules. This is not known to introduce any compatibility
concerns with existing protocols.

==References==
[https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0065.mediawiki BIP65:
OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY]

[https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0068.mediawiki BIP68:
Consensus-enforced transaction replacement signaled via sequence numbers]

[https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-00.mediawiki BIPXX:
CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY]

==Copyright==

This document is placed in the public domain.

- -- 
My PGP key can be found here: <https://thomaskerin.io/me.pub.asc>