Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Dynamically Controlled Bitcoin Block Size Max Cap

From: Milly Bitcoin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:45:53 -0400

The idea is to come up with some sort of standardized metric so as the 
tools and issues come up you are comparing similar things.

The first thing you have to do is link "centralization pressure" and 
(pressure to merge with a big miner) to some sort of overall 
decentralization metric.  For instance, how much do big miners reduce 
decentralization to begin with?  That is a complicated analysis on its 
own.  Then you can measure specif use cases with a tool like that.

the idea at least is that the metrics do not "take sides" on any issue 
and just provide a measure of whatever it is you are measuring.

most of the references have to do with measuring decentralization in 
political systems so a system would need to be developed to apply to 
software projects like Bitcoin:

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/treisman/Papers/defin.pdf

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/stm103%20articles/Schneider_Decentralization.pdf

Russ

>
> Pieter built a nice simulation tool and posted some results.
>
> I tweaked the parameters and ran the tool in a way that tested ONLY for
> hashrate centralization effects, and did not conflate these with network
> partitioning effects.
>
> I found that small miners were not at all disadvantaged by large blocks.
>
> The only person who commented on this result agreed with me.  He also
> complimented Pieter's insight (which is entirely appropriate since
> Pieter did the hard work of creating the tool).
>
> http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-June/008820.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>