Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Dynamically Controlled Bitcoin Block Size Max Cap

From: Tom Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:52:43 -0700

On 8/20/2015 5:37 PM, Peter Todd wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 05:25:59PM -0700, Tom Harding via bitcoin-dev wrote: >> I found that small miners were not at all disadvantaged by large
blocks. >> > > You used 20% as the size of the large miner, with all the
small miners > having good connectivity with each other. > > That is
*not* the scenario we're worried about. The math behind the > issue is
that the a miner needs to get their blocks to at least 33% of > hashing
power, but more than that is unnecessary and only helps their >
competition; you simulated 20%, which is under that threshold. Equally,
> why are you assuming the small miner group is well connected to each >
other? > > You probably didn't get any replies because your experiment
is obviously > wrong and misguided, and we're all busy. >

I gave the small miners collectively the same hashrate as the large
miners in the original test.  I made them well-connected because
everyone was well-connected intra-partition in the original test.

I just varied one thing: the size of the miners.  This is a principle of
experiment design, in science.

Next you'll probably claim that second-order and cross-term effects
dominate.  Maybe you can find the time to prove it.