Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] This thread is not about the soft/hard fork technical debate

From: Milly Bitcoin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 01:08:12 -0400

> The copyright notice refers to the fact that each contributor owns copyright
> to his own contributions. There is no legal group that owns copyright to the
> entirety of the code.
>

No, that is not what such a notice means.  The part after the "c" in the 
circle is the legal owner.  If the legal owners are not properly 
identified then the notice is not valid.

---
 From Nolo:

What is a valid copyright notice?

A copyright notice should contain:
•the word "copyright"
•a "c" in a circle (©)
•the date of publication, and
•the name of either the author or the owner of all the copyright rights 
in the published work.

For example, the correct copyright for the fourth edition of The 
Copyright Handbook, by Stephen Fishman (Nolo), is Copyright © 1998 by 
Stephen Fishman.

---
from USPTO:

Use of the notice informs the public that a work is protected by 
copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first 
publication.
---

Russ