Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] This thread is not about the soft/hard fork technical debate

From: phm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 17:14:08 -0500

In any case this is basically the purpose of version tracking software
such as Git or CVS or any other. It would not be hard to figure out who
had done what. I see you're splitting hairs over nothing as usual,
though, Russ, so I'll leave you to it.

phm

Milly Bitcoin via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Maybe you are confused with a compilation notice that would say "All Content Copyright and other rights reserved by its Respective Owners" or something similar.  That is not the same thing as claiming ownership using the "c" inside the circle. > > There is also a difference between claiming a copyright for
individual works as part of a compilation as opposed to claiming a
copyright on the compilation itself (which is what the current notice
is). > > Russ > > > On 10/6/2015 1:08 AM, Milly Bitcoin wrote: >>> The
copyright notice refers to the fact that each contributor owns >>>
copyright >>> to his own contributions. There is no legal group that
owns copyright >>> to the >>> entirety of the code. >>> >> >> No, that
is not what such a notice means.  The part after the "c" in the >>
circle is the legal owner.  If the legal owners are not properly >>
identified then the notice is not valid. >> >> --- >>  From Nolo: >> >>
What is a valid copyright notice? >> >> A copyright notice should
contain: >> •the word "copyright" >> •a "c" in a circle (©) >> •the date
of publication, and >> •the name of either the author or the owner of
all the copyright rights >> in the published work. >> >> For example,
the correct copyright for the fourth edition of The >> Copyright
Handbook, by Stephen Fishman (Nolo), is Copyright © 1998 by >> Stephen
Fishman. >> >> --- >> from USPTO: >> >> Use of the notice informs the
public that a work is protected by >> copyright, identifies the
copyright owner, and shows the year of first >> publication. >> --- >>
>> Russ >> > > > _______________________________________________ >
bitcoin-dev mailing list > [email-masked] >
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev