Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [patch] Switching Bitcoin Core to sqlite db

From: Douglas Roark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:06:56 -0700

On 2015/10/23 03:30, Tom Zander via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Thursday 22 Oct 2015 17:26:42 Jeff Garzik via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>> It was noted that leveldb is unmaintained, and this is part of researching
>> alternatives that are maintained and reliable.
> 
> Apart from it being unmaintained, any links to what are problems with levelDB?

While not exactly the most rigorous link,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LevelDB#Bugs_and_Reliability seems like an
okay place to start. One thing I can attest to is that, when Armory used
LevelDB (0.8 - 0.92, IIRC), quite a few users had DB corruption issues,
particularly on Windows. Even when a switch to LMDB occurred for 0.93,
loads of complaints would come in from users whose LevelDB-based Core
DBs would fail. I know that the guy who moved Armory over to LMDB would
love to have more time in the day so that he could write a Core patch
that does the same. It's a very sore spot for him.

(FWIW, LMDB seems to work quite nicely, at least once you patch up the
source a little bit. The latest version is also compatible with Core's
cross-compiling scheme. I'd love to see it added to Core one day.)

Doug