Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [patch] Switching Bitcoin Core to sqlite db

From: telemaco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:57:39 +0100

Why not allow two options:

1/ a default RocksDB/SQLite/LevelDB (whatever is decided)
2/ alternative provide instructions for connection to any other rdbms 
using odbc or jdbc.

Why not allowing async disk writes or incredibly fast database systems 
if someone wants to have a node in a very fast datacenter or connected 
with their existing leveraged dataservers. It is the traditional 
approach to just use the open standard for database connectivity.

Any person or any organization would just need to have one machine with 
their bitcoin node with a rdbms client installed (SAP Sybase client, or 
oracle client, or microsoft). The bitcoin node would just store their 
data using the odbc/jdbc protocol on ANY rdbms installed anywhere in 
their organization (other machine or the same). They would just need to 
issue a "create table" with a very simple table structure and they would 
benefit from async and indexes and using their already licensed, and 
configured system of their choosing, with bitcoin information being 
available to thousands of software packages and available aswell to 
thousands of programmers that work with rdbms and not just "RocksDB" or 
some obscure database system.

Why not "outsource" totally that data management part to the already 
existing with decades of experience database world. People would be able 
to create incredibly easy bitcoin statistics/graphs/analisys with 
existing software packages (hey even excel or libreoffice like) or 
connect bitcoin data to their own sources and if so they chose analyze 
bitcoin data on a datawarehouse or any imaginable approach. Of course 
every transaction would be have to do through the bitcoin node and only 
the data management would be on rdbms side.