Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Scaling by Partitioning

From: Patrick Strateman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 12:50:08 -0800

Payment recipients would need to operate a daemon for each chain, thus
guaranteeing no scaling advantage.

(There are other issues, but I believe that to be enough of a show
stopper not to continue).

On 12/08/2015 08:27 AM, Akiva Lichtner via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am seeking some expert feedback on an idea for scaling Bitcoin. As a
> brief introduction: I work in the payment industry and I have twenty
> years' experience in development. I have some experience with process
> groups and ordering protocols too. I think I understand Satoshi's
> paper but I admit I have not read the source code.
>
> The idea is to run more than one simultaneous chain, each chain
> defeating double spending on only part of the coin. The coin would be
> partitioned by radix (or modulus, not sure what to call it.) For
> example in order to multiply throughput by a factor of ten you could
> run ten parallel chains, one would work on coin that ends in "0", one
> on coin that ends in "1", and so on up to "9".
>
> The number of chains could increase automatically over time based on
> the moving average of transaction volume.
>
> Blocks would have to contain the number of the partition they belong
> to, and miners would have to round-robin through partitions so that an
> attacker would not have an unfair advantage working on just one partition.
>
> I don't think there is much impact to miners, but clients would have
> to send more than one message in order to spend money. Client messages
> will need to enumerate coin using some sort of compression, to save
> space. This seems okay to me since often in computing client software
> does have to break things up in equal parts (e.g. memory pages, file
> system blocks,) and the client software could hide the details.
>
> Best wishes for continued success to the project.
>
> Regards,
> Akiva
>
> P.S. I found a funny anagram for SATOSHI NAKAMOTO: "NSA IS OOOK AT MATH"
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev