Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

From: Andy Schroder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:20:38 -0400

I understand the need for people to make repeated payments to 
individuals in real life that they know, without the payee every even 
taking the effort to make a formal payment request (say you're just 
paying a family member of friend back for picking something up for you 
at the store, and you've already payed them many times before).

For a subscription, wouldn't it be better to promote payment channels or 
just send another payment request? I've been brainstorming recently 
about a model where service providers could deliver invoices, receipts, 
and payment requests in a standardized and secure way. In addition to 
having a send, receive, and transaction history tab in your bitcoin 
wallet, you'd also have an open payment channels tab (which would 
include all applications on your computer that have an open real time 
payment channel, such as a wifi access point, web browser, voip 
provider, etc.), as well as a "bills to pay" tab. Since everything would 
be automated and consolidated locally, you wouldn't have to deal with 
logging into a million different websites to get the bills and then pay 
them. If it were this easy, why would you ever want to do a recurring 
payment from a single payment request? I understand why you may think 
you want to given current work flows, but I'm wondering if it may be 
better to just skip over to a completely better way of doing things.

Andy Schroder

On 06/22/2016 11:30 AM, Erik Aronesty wrote:
> My conclusion at the bottom of that post was to keep BIP 75 the same, 
> don't change a bit, and stick any subscription information (future 
> payment schedule) in the PaymentACK.   Then the wallet then 
> re-initiates an invoice (unattended or attended.. up to the user), 
> after the subscription interval is passed. Subscriptions are pretty 
> important for Bitcoin to be used as a real payment system.