Subject: [bitcoindev] Proposing a P2QRH BIP towards a quantum resistant soft fork

From: Hunter Beast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 14:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

The motivation for this BIP is to provide a concrete proposal for adding 
quantum resistance to Bitcoin. We will need to pick a signature algorithm, 
implement it, and have it ready in event of quantum emergency. There will 
be time to adopt it. Importantly, this first step is a more substantive 
answer to those with concerns beyond, "quantum computers may pose a threat, 
but we likely don't have to worry about that for a long time". Bitcoin 
development and activation is slow, so it's important that those with low 
time preference start discussing this as a serious possibility sooner 
rather than later.

This is meant to be the first in a series of BIPs regarding a hypothetical 
"QuBit" soft fork. The BIP is intended to propose concrete solutions, even 
if they're early and incomplete, so that Bitcoin developers are aware of 
the existence of these solutions and their potential.

This is just a rough draft and not the finished BIP. I'd like to validate 
the approach and hear if I should continue working on it, whether serious 
changes are needed, or if this truly isn't a worthwhile endeavor right now.

The BIP can be found here:
https://github.com/cryptoquick/bips/blob/p2qrh/bip-p2qrh.mediawiki

Thank you for your time.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/62fd28ab-e8b5-4cfc-b5ae-0d5a033af057n%40googlegroups.com.