Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Rebroadcast mechanism in Bitcoin P2P network

From: Aymeric Vitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 13:40:51 +0100

> It's just one example of a downside of (a particular way of) using
> Tor. That doesn't mean I recommend against using Tor for Bitcoin
> traffic at all; my point was simply that there are trade-offs, and
> aspects of privacy of the P2P protocol that Tor does not address, and
> thus one shouldn't assume that all problems are solved by "just use Tor".
There are many downsides since the default behavior of the Tor network
does not apply to p2p networks, another example is a bitcoin node
exiting transactions (I thought you were referring to this), since the
same Tor circuit is used during some time most likely the transactions
are related to the same node even if we don't know its IP

According to the bitcoin github example discussion link I gave, I am not
saying that Tor network nodes should not be used, I am saying that they
should be used à la node-Tor, or more precisely like the github example
and http://www.peersm.com/Convergence-2020.pdf, one of the main
differences are how behave the first node (ie the originating bitcoin
node), HS/RDV, nb of hops, hybrid nodes

Another drawback is that bitcoin community lets bitcoin nodes operators
play the way they like with torrc

@Prayank, regarding js/webrtc my previous answer was not partial, please
email in private if you need more, it's just a part of the project (but
important since disruptive), which is already advertised widely
(bitcoin, ipfs, covid apps, videoconf, etc, there are plenty of links on
github, lists, specs discussion, probably I should reference them), the
answer is always the same: "very interesting, go ahead", but no, it is
designed to be integrated by the projects, not by myself, and the only
thing missing to get rid of myself is to release phase4