Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Updating the Scaling Roadmap

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:02:51 +0200

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 23:11:38 CEST Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev 
wrote:
> I think it's great that people want to experiment with things like
> drivechains/sidechains and what not, but their security model is very
> distinct from Bitcoin's and, given the current highly centralized
> mining ecosystem, arguably not very good.  So positioning them as a
> major solution for the Bitcoin project is the wrong way to go. Instead
> we should support people trying cool stuff, at their own risk.
>
> So, given that although the vast majority of the things in the document
> are things I've been supporting for months (Please see Note 1 way down
> at the bottom) I cannot support your document.

I”m thinking along the same lines, a industry wide roadmap makes very little 
sense.

Much like in Linux we have a lot of smaller groups doing their own thing, 
all working for the good of Linux as they see it, and implicitly, as they 
use it.
I think its safe to say that Linus would not want any say over the roadmap 
of Intel or Google or any other particpant in the Linux space.

I am in agreement with Gregory that we should reject a Bitcoin-wide scaling 
roadmap.

I do suggest that smalle groups publish their individual roadmaps, show what 
they are planning to work on in a place that people will find it (a website, 
not a mailinglist archive).

Those individual roadmaps then show what that group will work on, which 
helps their communication. It helps people talking about Bitcoin to the 
general public as well, and it helps people understand whom they would like 
to support financially or otherwise.
-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel