Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Encouraging good miners

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:29:57 +0200

For some time now the relation between block size and propagation speed has 
been decoupled. Using xthin/compact blocks miners only send a tiny version 
of a block which then causes the receiving node to re-create it using the 
memory pool.  Immediately getting double benefits by including pre-verified 
transactions from the memory pool you avoid the old problem of having to 
validate them again when a block was mined.

As such there is no downside to a miner creating a bigger block, as long as 
all the transactions they include are actually in the mempool.

As such I'm personally convinced that the problem you are trying to solve 
has already been solved.

Cheers!

On Monday, 27 March 2017 18:12:19 CEST Btc Ideas via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Add a preference for mined blocks to be the one with more transactions.
> This comes into play when 2 blocks of the same height are found. The
> first good block mined would be orphaned if it had less transactions than
> another. Optionally, have this rule apply to the current block and the
> previous one.
> 
> This increases incentive for full blocks because a miner thinking the
> faster propagation of a smaller block will win him the reward, but that
> would no longer be a good assumption.

-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel