Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Re: Adding New BIP Editors

From: "David A. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 11:13:40 -1000

On 2024-03-28 10:04, Matt Corallo wrote:
> Please provide justification rather than simply saying "I like Bob!".

Using only comments from the mailing list, the following appears to be
the candidate list along with the current support.  Asterisks denote
candidates who indicated their willingness to accept the role.

- Bryan "Kanzure" Bishop, recommended by Ava Chow[1], Chris Stewart[3],
   Michael Folkson[6], Peter Todd[9], Matt Corallo[10], Brandon 
Black[11],
   Antoine Riard[12], Murch[13], Antoine Poinsot[15], John Carvalho[16]

- Ruben Somsen, recommended by Ava Chow[1], Chris Stewart[3], Michael
   Folkson[6], Antoine Riard[12], Murch[13], Antoine Poinsot[15], John
   Carvalho[16]

- Jon Atack*, recommended by Luke Dashjr[2], Chris Stewart[3], 
/dev/fd0[5][7],
   Brandon Black[11], Antoine Riard[12], Ava Chow[14], John Carvalho[16]

- Olaoluwa "Roasbeef" Osuntokun, recommended by Chris Stewart[3], John
   C. Vernaleo[4], /dev/fd0[5][7], Keagan McClelland[8], Antoine
   Riard[12], Ava Chow[14]

- Mark "Murch" Erhardt*, recommended by Michael Folkson[6], Keagan
   McClelland[8], Matt Corallo[10], Brandon Black[11], Antoine Riard[12],
   Ava Chow[14]

- Michael Folkson*

Note: Luke Dashjr proposed[17] Seccour and Greg Tonoski for "non-dev
triaging", Tonoski proposed himself[18] for "BIP editor", and Antoine
Riard[12] proposed Seccour for "decentralized PM".

I searched the BIPs repo by commenter to see if any of the above
candidates had been especially active there, which is listed below as:
total PRs they commented on (number still open/number closed).

- 21 (1/20) commenter:kanzure
- 3 (2/1) commenter:rubensomsen
- 15 (0/15) commenter:jonatack
- 18 (2/16) commenter:roasbeef
- 10 (6/4) commenter:Murchandamus
- 57 (6/51) commenter:michaelfolkson

I'll also note that Osuntokun is the only member of the set to have a
merged BIP that they co-authored, although I believe there are far-along
draft BIPs for both Murch (terminology) and Somsen (Silent Payments).  I
don't think this should be a requirement, but I do think it demonstrates
familiarity with the process.

Speaking only for myself, I think all of the candidates above with
multiple recommendations from other community participants are fully
qualified for the role, so I'll only provide a detailed justification
for the person who would be my first pick: Murch is not only a
longstanding and broadly liked Bitcoin contributor, but (as Corallo
mentioned) he has worked on standardizing terminology through a draft
BIP.  In addition, he provided an extremely detailed review of all 300
pages of a draft of Mastering Bitcoin (3rd edition) and has reviewed
drafts of over 200 weekly Optech newsletters, in both cases
significantly improving the accuracy and comprehensibility of the
documentation.  To me, that seems very similar to the work we'd ask him
to perform as a BIPs editor and it's something that he's already doing,
so I think there's an excellent fit of person to role.

-Dave

[1] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[2] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[3] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[4] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[5] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[6] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[7] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[8] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/CALeFGL1-LKPWd7YRS110ut8tX=[email-masked]/
[9] https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[10] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[11] https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/ZgWRu32FXzqqg69V@console/
[12] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[13] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[14] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[15] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/ppBS1tfMU3SFX85kmIBVBd0WpT5Wof_oSBXsuizh7692AUDw2TojfvCqvcvlmsy9E69qfWMxK-UZWawf8IDApPqF7bXOH4gwU1c2jS4xojo=@protonmail.com/
[16] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/[email-masked]/
[17] 
https://gnusha.org/pi/bitcoindev/CAMHHROw9mZJRnTbUo76PdqwJU==[email-masked]/

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/77554baa9330c57361c65c1fc85557f1%40dtrt.org.