Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Committed bloom filters for improved wallet performance and SPV security

From: Tom Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 15:36:09 -0700

Agreed.

In contrast, BIP37 as used today is totally decentralized, and can me 
made much more secure, private, and scalable -- without giving up the 
utility of unconfirmed transactions.

Please don't read into this statement a belief that all the coffees 
should go on the chain, or that the security or privacy of BIP37 compare 
favorably to any other particular thing.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13MzUo2iIH9JBW29TgtPMoaMXxeEdanWDfi6SlfO-LlA

On 1/5/2017 6:04 PM, bfd--- via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> You might as well replace Bitcoin with a system where these parties
> sign transactions and skip mining altogether, it would have the same
> properties and be significantly more effient.
>
>
> On 2017-01-04 23:06, Chris Priest wrote:
>> On 1/3/17, Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are plenty, more sane options. If you can't run your own 
>>> full-node
>>> as a merchant (trivial), maybe co-use a wallet-service with centralized
>>> verification (maybe use two of them), I guess Copay would be one of
>>> those wallets (as an example). Use them in watch-only mode.
>>
>> The best way is to connect to the mempool of each miner and check to
>> see if they have your txid in their mempool.
>>
>> https://www.antpool.com/api/is_in_mempool?txid=334847bb...
>> https://www.f2pool.com/api/is_in_mempool?txid=334847bb...
>> https://bw.com/api/is_in_mempool?txid=334847bb...
>> https://bitfury.com/api/is_in_mempool?txid=334847bb...
>> https://btcc.com/api/is_in_mempool?txid=334847bb...
>>
>> If each of these services return "True", and you know those services
>> so not engage in RBF, then you can assume with great confidence that
>> your transaction will be in the next block, or in a block very soon.
>> If any one of those services return "False", then you must assume that
>> it is possible that there is a double spend floating around, and that
>> you should wait to see if that tx gets confirmed. The problem is that
>> not every pool runs such a service to check the contents of their
>> mempool...
>>
>> This is an example of mining centralization increasing the security of
>> zero confirm. If more people mined, this method will not work as well
>> because it would require you to call the API of hundreds of different
>> potential block creators.
>