Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Time for an update to BIP2?

From: Murch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 14:25:47 -0400

Hey y’all,

Continuing the conversation about an update to the BIP process, I have 
clobbered together a draft proposal.

It aims to make determinations on all the topics that were covered by 
BIP 2, but tries to address many of the pain points brought up in the 
discussion earlier this year, the BIP Process Wishlist, and issues 
surfaced by sighting the open pull requests.

The main changes compared to BIP 2 are:

- Sunset the comments system
- Rework the workflow
- Use only four Status values (Preliminary, Ready, Active, and 
Abandoned) instead of nine, clarify the meaning of statuses
- Replace the "Standards Track" BIP type with the "Specification" BIP 
type, and update definitions for all BIP types
- Declare Process BIPs to be living documents
- Discourage adoption tracking in the BIPs repository
- Introduce Revision header and Change Log to record changes to BIPs 
after they have been recommended for adoption
- Update description of repository’s scope
- Reduce BIP Editor role to checking editorial and formal criteria, 
reassigning judgment calls to authors and audience

I’m open to reconsider most aspects of this proposal, provided 
convincing arguments and tenable alternatives. Please consider relevant 
rationale provided in the footnotes when suggesting changes.

Please especially take note of the description of the repository’s scope.

You can find the draft here:
https://github.com/murchandamus/bips/pull/2

I may also open a pull request to the main BIPs repository later this 
week assuming this draft is well-received.

Best,
Murch

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/82a37738-a17b-4a8c-9651-9e241118a363%40murch.one.