Subject: Re: [bitcoindev] Unbreaking testnet4

From: Garlo Nicon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 00:00:09 -0700 (PDT)

> The given rationale for a difficulty reset was to let developers 
occasionally mine blocks on their laptop.

It is technically possible to allow CPU users to get some coins, if they 
provide some Proof of Work.

Example Script: "OP_SIZE 60 OP_LESSTHAN OP_VERIFY 
0279be667ef9dcbbac55a06295ce870b07029bfcdb2dce28d959f2815b16f81798 
OP_CHECKSIG".

Related topic: 
https://delvingbitcoin.org/t/proof-of-work-based-signet-faucet/937

And because this method is network-independent, and can be deployed 
anywhere (all testnets, mainnet, signet, regtest, doesn't matter), then it 
is probably a good idea to disable 20 minute rule, that way or another.

poniedziałek, 24 marca 2025 o 02:29:17 UTC+1 Murch napisał(a):

> Hey Antoine and everyone,
>
> What you suggest makes sense to me. Since the 20-minute difficulty 
> exception is now exploited perpetually, it doesn’t serve its intended 
> purpose of allowing developers to mine themselves a few coins easily or 
> confirm their own non-standard transactions. In that case, it would be 
> better to not have it at all.
>
> On 2025-03-18 07:29, 'Antoine Poinsot' via Bitcoin Development Mailing 
> List wrote:
> > I propose to fix this by removing the difficulty reset rule from
> > testnet4 through a flag day hard fork on 2026-01-01.
>
> I would suggest to pick a date that’s not a holiday in many places to 
> avoid disrupting people’s holiday, how about 2026-01-01 instead?
>
> Cheers,
> Murch
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/85db9980-f6c9-48d8-a650-c69f16cd835fn%40googlegroups.com.