Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Taproot: Privacy preserving switchable scripting

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:23:12 +0000

Gah, please no. I see no material reason why cross-input signature aggregation shouldn't have the signatures in the first n-1 inputs replaced with something like a single-byte push where a signature is required to indicate aggregation, and the combined signature in the last input at whatever position the signature is required.

On January 27, 2018 5:07:25 PM UTC, Russell O'Connor via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
-snip-
>Cross-input signature aggregation probably requires a new field to be
>added
>to the P2P transaction structure to hold the aggregated signature,
>since
>there isn't really a good place to put it in the existing structure
>(there
>are games you can play to make it fit, but I think it is worthwhile). 
>The
>obvious way add block commitments to a new tx field is via the witness
>reserved value mechanism present in BIP 141.  At this point I think
>there
>will be some leeway to adjust the discount on the weight of this new
>aggregated signature tx field so that even a single input taproot using
>the
>aggregated signature system (here an aggregation of 1 signature) ends
>up no
>more expensive than a single input segwit P2WPKH.