Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] 0.3.24

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:37:35 -0400

Hum, it sounds like there was some misunderstanding, on my part at
least.  On IRC, people are talking about a cherry-picked release,
basically 0.3.23 + a couple specific fixes, rather than what is
current in upstream git.  I had assumed people meant releasing current
git + some specific fixes not yet in git.

Wearing the Release Mangler hat, cherry-picked branches have a few
disadvantages:

* you're throwing away the testing people have done on upstream git
* the new branch would have zero testing, as most people have been
testing 0.3.23 or upstream git
* it would be a dead-end branch, never touched after release.  bug
reports for such a release might not necessarily be applicable to last
version or current upstream or anywhere in between.

That is the convention wisdom, anyway.  But to paraphrase Pirates of
the Caribbean, release management rules aren't really rules, they're
more like... guidelines.  :)

The cherry-picked 0.3.24 release, according to IRC wisdom, wouldn't
have to worry about shipping CWallet, which needs a fix or two from
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/358

I can live with, and roll a release for, either (a) 0.3.23 + select
fixes or (b) current upstream + pull #358.  My preference is (b), but
this is a community and Holy Alpaca decision, not just a call I will
make on my own.

Comments welcome...

-- 
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
[email-masked]