Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reconsider build system change?

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 12:51:08 -0400

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:49 AM, Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 12:44:17PM +0200, Pieter Wuille wrote:
>> I have no preference for any particular project build system. If a system
>> * is easy enough to set up (included in standard repositories, eg.)
>> * allows building of the bitcoin codebase on several linux distro's
>> * does cross-compilation to windows
>> * supports osx
>> * is easy to maintain
>> * it is not too hard to adapt other GUI's to use it (bitcoin-qt,
>>   maybe others as well, i hear about a cocoabitcoin?)
>> * gets implemented and tested to support all of the above
>> .. i have no problem with choosing that system for future versions.
>
> Other opinions? Someone actually interested in writing a cmake configuration
> for bitcoin?

autotools is indeed "the devil we know" which works automatically on
all supported platforms save VC++  It is also the easiest to package,
as all distros already have macros and scripts specifically designed
to integrate autotools packages into their package build systems.
cmake simply does not have that level of uptake.

-- 
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
[email-masked]