Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Blocking uneconomical UTXO creation

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:18:41 -0400

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Gavin Andresen
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Just activate a non-proportional demurrage
>
> demurrage of any kind will never, ever happen, just give up on that idea.
>
> The negative publicity of "the bitcoin developers are destroying YOUR
> coins!" would be devastating.

While 100% agreed, I do think there is space in the alt-currency world
for a well-done coin THAT IS NOT BITCOIN (i.e. merge-mined or
whatever) with a finite lifespan.  Call it "tempcoin"   For example:
any coin older than (144 * 365 * 4) blocks may be reclaimed by a
miner.

Even though, sadly, many of the alt-coins have been pre-mined scams,
the alt-coin concept in general is great for experimenting.  If the
idea can be proven in the field without modifying mainnet bitcoind,
then perhaps it should go onto the mainnet hard fork wishlist, many
years in the future.

That's the great thing about open source.  People can experiment with
these ideas, and bitcoin.git need not change at all :)

-- 
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
[email-masked]