Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Service bits for pruned nodes

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:47:07 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Ricardo Filipe
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> We would only end up with few copies of the historic data if users
> could choose what parts of the blockchain to store. Simply store
> chunks randomly, according to users available space, and give priority
> to the "N most recent" chunks to have more replicas in the network.
>
> You don't need bittorrent specifically for a DHT, if publicity is a
> problem. There are many DHT proposals and implementations, and i bet
> one of them should be more suitable to the bitcoin network than
> bittorrent's.

That's just about the worst thing you could do for bitcoin.  DoS one
part of the DHT, you DoS the entire blockchain by breaking the chain.

-- 
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
[email-masked]