Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] overall bitcoin client code quality

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:31:20 -0400

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Michael Offel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 1. nearly no code documentation

agreed -- contributions welcome

> 2. isolation of modules

It is a long term goal to move towards 'libbitcoin"

> 3. poor use of threads

agreed -- contributions welcome

> 4. long build times

very low priority.

> 5. style guide

contributions to existing style guide welcome

> 6. hardcoded values

very low priority

> Let me also say that I'm not pointing to someone to do all this. I'm willing to spend a lot of time on this promising project but this kind of cleanup is simply too large for one person who is new to the code.
> My overall suggestion is to begin a complete rewrite, inspired by the old code rather than moving a lot of "known to be somehow functional" around.
> The official Bitcoin client should be some kind of an reference project for other clients and must therefore be extra clean and well documented.
>
> Hopefully I did not hurt someone's feelings.

We know the code isn't what people would prefer, but that's what we've
inherited.  Everybody has suggestions, but given limited development
resources we're swamped as is.  (hence all the "contributions welcome"
responses)

-- 
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
[email-masked]