Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin Testing Project

From: Wladimir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:49:13 +0200

I think it's a great initiative Steve,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Matt Corallo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> They both run the same set of scripts, namely those at
> https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/test-scripts (its pretty basic right now,
> but since it is on github, I was hoping someone would find the
> inspiration to add to it).

The pulltester and Jenkins are really useful, I think it's best to
keep these and improve them if needed.

> I dont really care if we keep using jenkins, but I figure we might as
> well keep all the tests in one place?

Which brings me to another issue: we desperately need a page that
links all the developer resources for bitcoin dev:

- link to my doxygen docs (https://dev.visucore.com/bitcoin/doxygen/)
- bluematt's pulltester and jenkins
- any testing dashboards Steve is going to add

But also:

- how to check out the source code, how to find the build instructions
for your platform
- contribution guidelines
- where to ask w/ development problems (this mailing list, #bitcoin-dev)
- where to begin, which bugs to solve first
...

Maybe on bitcoin.org, but at least easy to find for people that want
to contribute, not just some deeply nested wiki page. Ie, something
like

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/
http://www.ogre3d.org/developers
...

I'm willing to write this. But I know these kinds of proposals always
end in a big discussion about what should be and what should not be on
bitcoin.org, however we should be a bit pragmatic here.

Wladimir