Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reconsidering github

From: Wladimir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:58:48 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It would be nice if the issues and git repo for Bitcoin Core were not
> on such a centralized service as github, nice and convenient as it is.

Despite my complaining about github, I don't like the idea of moving
somewhere else. The current way of working - to use github for storing
the tree, and use a custom script for signing+merging - is fine with
me.

Github has a low barrier to contribution. Almost every open source
developer already has a github account. Switching to something
self-hosted makes it more difficult for people to contribute.

Plus if we have to take the hosting upon ourselves, we have to handle
sysadmin work ourselves as well. That's not a good use of the limited
manpower available.

Also it will be a lot of work to migrate over all the current issues
and pulls. I don't look forward to that. I don't see the point of
this, sorry.

Wladimir