Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Revisiting the BIPS process, a proposal

From: Wladimir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:32:55 +0100

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:

> BIP drafts are stored in git://github.com/bitcoin/bips.git/drafts/ and
> are not automatically assigned a BIPS number.
>

Are we going to move ahead with this?

If so, I'm volunteering to create the repository and import the current
BIPs from the wiki there (and convert from wiki markup to markdown where
necessary).

2) Time passes.  Software for BIP drafts is developed, tested,
> published, and publicly discussed in a typical open source manner.
>

Personally I think it is useful to have a number as soon as a BIP can be
implemented, even if still in draft status; it gives something to refer to
when mentioning a certain improvement proposal (in commit messages and such
it could be called BIP xxx Draft).
I don't think we are at risk of running out of numbers to assign any time
soon.

Wladimir