Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] What Lightning Is

From: Hector Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:01:13 +0100

Lightning will never catch on as it basically demands that everyone who
uses it to become a speculator. Payment hubs and merchants will be at the
mercy of the bitcoin price while their funds stay locked up in payment
channels. This idea is a dead-end.

On 10 August 2015 at 22:43, Adam Back via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> In terms of usage I think you'd more imagine a wallet that basically
> parks Bitcoins onto channels at all times, so long as they are
> routable there is no loss, and the scalability achieved thereby is
> strongly advantageous, and there is even the potential for users to
> earn fees by having their wallets participate in channel rebalancing
> (where hubs pay users to rebalance channels - end up with the same net
> position but move funds from one user-owned channel to another.)
> Exchange deposit, withdrawal, payments, even in-exchange trades can
> usefully happen in lightning for faster, cheaper more scalable
> transactions.
>
> Adam
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>