Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Compact Block Relay BIP

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 05:02:28 +0000

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The following is a BIP-formatted design spec for compact block relay
> designed to limit on wire bytes during block relay. You can find the
> latest version of this document at
> https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bips/blob/master/bip-TODO.mediawiki.

Thanks Matt!

I've been testing this for a couple weeks (in various forms).  I've
been getting over 96% reduction in block-bytes sent. I don't have a
good metric for it, but bandwidth spikes are greatly reduced. The
largest blocktxn message I've seen on a node that has been up for at
least a day is 475736 bytes. 94% of the blocks less than 100kb must be
sent in total.

In the opportunistic mode my measurements are showing 73% of blocks
transferred with 0.5 RTT even without prediction, 87% if up to 4
additional transactions are predicted, and 91% for 30 transactions (my
rough estimate for the 10k maximum prediction suggested in the BIP.