Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [BIP] Normalized transaction IDs

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:26:47 +0000

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm still sad that uniform segregated witeness is so hard to deploy,
> adding another id to every utxo set won't be a nice cost. :( But I
> have been trying for a long time to come up with anything better and
> not being successful.

Oh good. Luke solved it.

To deploy SW without a disruptive flag day this encoding could be used:

A new P2SH like scriptPubkey type is defined. In the soft-fork, the
scriptsig for this scriptPubkey is required to be empty.

Signatures are not covered under txid, but carried along side. Then
committed to in blocks in a separate hashtree.

The only disadvantage to the approach used in elements alpha that I
can come up with so far (in the few minutes since luke turned my can't
into a can) is that that the approach in EA did not disrupt the normal
relay handling process, and this would, since relay that transports
the extradata either needs to use a different hash that includes the
witness, or have a separate mechanism for witness transport.