Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Area of Focus

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 21:30:03 +0000

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Jeremy Spilman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> are dnsseeds being blocked
> ostensibly because they are acting as dyanamic DNS infrastructure for
> malware sites?

Pretty much appears to be the case. In every instance it appears to be
automated. This predates the msft no-ip.com stuff.
We also had similar problems with the IRC based method that the
software originally used.

It's the same story for mail relay spam blacklisting.  There is a
whole industry out there selling people semi-snake-oil blocking
solutions to make the baddness of the internet go away. The low margin
business demands a cheap and highly automated approach... lots of
inappropriate things get blocked. Nagging people to fix things is time
consuming, better to move out of their sights a bit, so that they at
least have to specifically target Bitcoin. If they do, it'll at least
be worth the time spent fixing it.

I believe opendns is blocking all of sipa.be still as we speak, so if
you'd like to see it for yourself try to load http://bitcoin.sipa.be
while using opendns.